Friday, September 25, 2015

My Kingdom Is Not Of This World

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.”  John 18:36 NRSV

The Lutheran denomination that I was a member of was in a state of political unrest at the time of my ordination. Yes, I said "political" unrest. It seemed that we were debating and voting on anything and everything to the detriment of the Gospel being proclaimed and heard. I had wanted all hints of worldly politics left out of the ordination sermon so asked a dear friend, Pr. John Henry, a United Methodist Pastor, to proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom through Jesus the Christ. And.. yes, I did let him know that was what I wanted to hear from the pulpit when I asked him. I had known and served in various capacities with him for years. I had heard him preach the Good News on many occasions and was confident that he would proclaim the Kingdom of God through Christ alone. Thankfully, he was willing and able. The Gospel was proclaimed! I have been called to proclaim this same gospel. Although, I am interested in secular politics; I am careful to not use the gospel to promote my particular political agenda. I believe strongly that through the regular hearing of the Word, the Holy Spirit will speak to each of us; lead us, and empower us to use the gifts that God has given us to serve in whatever manner we, as individuals, have been called. We have been given various gifts. It would behoove us to learn to work together using those individual gifts to glorify God.

I have been called to proclaim the Good News to all people so that all who would believe the Word will be reconciled to God our Father and our Lord, Jesus the Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit. In my congregation there are men and women whom I would call lobbyists. They have secular "causes" that they support locally, state-wide, and even nationally from time to time. I truly believe that these secular "causes" are based on their faith and the gifts that God has given each of them. I do not particularly endorse or support all of these causes. Nor, do I chastise them for their political beliefs. None of them have done anything or supported anything that could be viewed as blasphemy.

We are no longer members of the denomination that voted regularly on secular political agendas. We are now free to serve God according to the calls we have received; revealed in His Word; and empowered by the Holy Spirit. As for me, I will keep praying; praising God; and proclaiming the Kingdom of God through Jesus the Christ, our Savior and King.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: