Monday, September 12, 2011

The LORD Speaks, Will We Listen?

Exodus 19

"The people all answered as one:  'Everything that the LORD has spoken we will do.'" (19:8) 

I am in a bit of a rush as I am preparing confirmation lessons to be sent out in the mail this morning.  I'm mailing them because I haven't seen most of the young people since our class a month ago.  I worry about the commitment they are going to be asked to make at the end of the year.  I worry about the promises they are going to make to God, with the congregation as a witness to these promises.  I will ask them to profess their faith in Jesus and they will.  I will ask them if they renounce the devil and the ways of sin that draw them from God and they will say that they will renounce them.  I will ask them if they intend to live in the covenent God made with them in baptism:  to live among God's faithful people, to hear God's word and share in His supper; to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ through word and deed, to serve all people, follow the example of Jesus, and strive for peace and justice in all the world.  And.. they will all say yes.  And... they will answer, as the Israelites answered: "yes."  And...  a few of them might actually try (I'm being optimistic).  But, the majority, sadly, I will not see again, unless I live long enough to preside at the baptism of their children in a decade or two.  Something, just seems terribly wrong to me to put these young people in a position to lie to God.  Indeed, some of them have  flat out told me in the past, that they don't have any intention of being back at Worship after they're confirmed.  Yet, they meet the requirements (sometimes barely) that the church has set to be a confirmed member of the church.  I really do dislike confirmation.  It is a great opportunity to teach them so that they will have the knowledge to fall back on when they are older.  But, it seems to me that they and often their parents (many who also do not return after their children are confirmed) really never quite get through these lessons who God is and what He has done for them.  I realize that this is a dilemma, not just for me, but for many who have to "confirm" in the church. 

The Lord told Moses to tell the people, "....Indeed, the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation."  (19:5,6) 

The apostle Peter wrote to Christians in Asia Minor:  "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.  Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy." 1 Peter 3:9-10 

What don't we get about this?  We were not God's people, but now we are because he chose us and through the blood of Christ made us a holy nation, a people belonging to God and as his people, his children, we are so grateful that we declare the praises of him who called us out of darkness into his light.  God chose us and saved us, yet, are we really out there praising his holy name?  Or as has often been said, is the church just a social club, one among many, that we can decide when it is good for us to participate in?  I live near an Indian reservation, the people are proud of their nation.  We also live in the United States of America, and we are proud to be Americans. I hear America's praises sung very loud. But, we are also a people who belong to a holy nation, we are the people of God.  I don't seem to hear God's praises sung quite so loud.  Are we really proud to Christians, followers of Christ?  Or is it, as I wrote earlier, just another group to belong to - a place through which we can do good works every now and then to assuage our guilty consciences?  Our guilt cannot be assuaged - only forgiven through the blood of Christ.

Think about these Israelites.  God saved them.  He made them His people.  He spoke to them and instructed them in the way that they should go as they journeyed through the wilderness.  He spoke to Moses on the mountain of God.  The people heard him roaring like thunder in the fire on the mountain.  On the mountain of God, Elijah heard the whisper of God in the sheer silence.  (1 Kings 19:13)

God saved us to be his people.  He speaks to us, through his word and his living Word.  As the song goes, "Jesus call us, o'er the tumult."  If you find yourself bobbing around in a wild and tumultuous sea, know that Jesus calls you, in order to guide you, in order to save.  He calls us, but will we listen?  Will we answer?   Will we answer:  Here I am Lord, speak to me, your servant listens?

No comments: