Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sabbath Rest

Genesis 31

Today is the Sabbath, it is Saturday.  I am working.  I have a funeral, a wedding (and the sermons to write for them), a Sunday School program to review, and a newsletter to be sent out via email.  I will be working tomorrow as well as most of the coming week.  So far my calendar for next Friday is clear.  But, there are enough days in between for stuff to come up to fill that day up as well.  The harder I try to find time for Sabbath rest, the more that rest seems to elude me.  It has been 21 days since I had most of the day off (only worked 2 hours that day) and that included 5 days of bed rest by a doctor which were not taken.  I know the consequences of it - the consequences to both my physical and spiritual health. Been there, done that, and if I don't figure out how to change my schedule quickly...  This lesson, it seems, I do not learn very well.  I know it, but just seem to be unable to follow through.

God warns us strongly to observe the Sabbath, yet we do not listen and we do suffer the consequences of not entering into His rest.  In fact, God warns us, that if we do not keep the Sabbath, we shall die.  It is uncanny that when I end up going on streaks like this without Sabbath rest, I wake up every morning acutely aware of how short life is.  I end up acutely aware of death.

May God help each of us to observe a day of rest each week - to allow us to more fully enter into his presence - that the weary might find rest.    

     

No comments: