Thursday, September 15, 2011

World Wide Web

Exodus 23

More rules...  Rules on how to act justly with your neighbor...

As this blog is being posted to the world wide web (www) it reminds me of how often I see gossip - pure hateful gossip - bullying - oppression - as well as taking the Lord's name in vain posted on various sites.  It makes me wonder how many Lutherans, after they study the small catechism, particularly the 10 Commandments, take what they learn  seriously.  Or maybe it's just that our children think (are taught by others) that we who teach this stuff are just old-fashioned prudes and it's not to be taken seriously?  How about if for just one day (and then another) we all refrained from posting nasty comments about our neighbors, refrain from posting omg; which, if you recall from your confirmation class is taking the name of the Lord lightly and is taking his name in vain.  I admit that I myself want to use that acronym every now and then when I see something that is particularly hateful posted.  But, so far I think I've refrained.  Could we at least try to make sure our posts reflect our status as children of God by not speaking wrongly of our neighbors and by not taking the name of the Lord in vain (no swearing)?

No comments: