Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shepherd's Staff

Exodus 17

They journeyed from the wilderness of sin toward the promised land in stages.  Take a look back our own lives.  Have we not progressed to where we are in stages?  With each stage, each step we learn something new.  Each stage, each step forward brings us greater knowledge of who God is and what He does for us.

He listens to the complaints of the people.  He answers those complaints.  He gives us water to quench our thirst.  He gives us living water in Jesus Christ so that our spirits will not dry out.  He helps us to prevail over the enemy.  He prevailed over the enemy for us on the cross, overcoming the ultimate enemy:  sin, death and the power of the devil.

I wonder about this staff of Moses.  It was turned into a snake, it was used to part the red sea so that the Israelites could pass unharmed, when it was used to strike the rock which the Lord was standing on water poured out of the rock so that the people could drink; and when Moses held it over his head Israel prevailed over their enemies.  If we look back at Exodus 7:9 we will find that Moses' staff was turned into a snake on the mountain of God (Exodus 4:2-5), but not in Pharaoh's presence as many of us may remember the story (probably from the movie).  It was not Moses' but Aaron whose staff turned into a snake in the presence of Pharaoh.   I'm not sure what difference that makes, except that it reminds us that God works through many.  His power is not restricted to one. 

The staff of the shepherd of Moses became a symbol of leadership as it was used to show the Lord's power.  But, it also belonged to one who was confronted and complained to whenever anything went wrong.  It belonged to the one who was expected to fix things for the people.  The staff is the symbol of a servant/leader - one who serves the sheep by keeping them safe, providing for them, leading them from bondage to the promised land - to freedom (as we will see in the New Testament) in Christ.  This staff that could part the red sea, open up rocks so water gushed forth; overcome enemies, belonged to the one who was expected to call upon the Lord for help whenever the people of God were in need. 

A few years ago, after a Methodist Indian Camp Meeting in Zeba, I was given a shepherd's staff.  It was handmade by one of their members from a tree that lives outside of their church building.  It has a cross carved into the top of it.  What a humbling honor to receive such a gift.  I keep it in plain site in my home and often when I walk and pray, whether in the house or outdoors in the wilderness, I take it with me.  There are times when prayer requests for God's people are urgent and I hold this staff in my hand as a reminder to myself of how serious this call as their Pastor (their shepherdess as my 7th Day Adventist Pastor friend calls me) to pray, to intercede on their behalf is.  It is not just part of the call as Pastor. It is one of the primary responsiblities. I cannot just tell people, that I will pray for them to pacify them.  I must pray for them.  Coming into the presence of God, praying, communicating with God is necessary for me (for all shepherds) to be able to serve His people, lead them in the way that He would have them go. 

It was not Moses or Aaron who performed the miracles.  It was not a mere staff.  It was God working through them.  Just as neither Moses or Aaron could do anything without being called by God, without God's blessing, without the power of God; I (we) can do nothing, but for the grace of God.  All things are accomplished by God.

As we journey through the wilderness, we do it in stages.  At each stage we learn (at least we should) something more about God and our relationship with God.  To date, I think that the most important thing that I have learned (and sometimes have to relearn) is that it is not I, but Christ who abides in me (and you) who does all things to the glory of God our Father, by the power of the Holy Spirit. I can do nothing worthwhile, but for the grace of God.     

  

No comments: