Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Gift of Land

Numbers 34

Easy reading this morning - not much to get that I can see - unless you want to memorize the names of the leaders of the nine and one half tribes that inherit the land promised to Israel.  This land that the Israelites receive as their inheritance is actually quite small.  It is smaller than even the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!  But, it is their land, given to them after quite a journey through the wilderness.

Last night as I drove into the entrance of my driveway, I thanked God for this piece of land He gave us.  Just about everytime I start driving up my driveway, a sense of peace and joy comes over me and I thank God for this tiny piece of land that He has given me.  I have lived and traveled all over the country as well as overseas.  For about 30 years, my husband and I never lived in one place for more than 3 years - mostly due to him being active duty military.

I had always desired to live on the water.  But, the cost was prohibitive and it was just a dream.  I kept looking, anyway, and about 5 years ago, I found this place.  It had been for sale for about 10 years and the price was very affordable - thanks be to God!  Most of it is wetlands (swamp to my husband).  That is probably one of the reasons no one prior to us looked at the property seriously.  We have no mosquitoes, as my husband had feared.  And... the well and septic were good despite the warnings of the realty.  The house on it was so bad it was not even being taxed and had to be totally renovated (after we moved in :) ). The land is shaped like a teardrop.  It is surrounded on three sides by wilderness.  On the east, the river opens up onto a bay of Lake Superior.  Our home is very small and had to have extensive work on it to make it liveable.  Yet, it is my piece of paradise in this world.  It is a gift from God.  It keeps me thanking God for the gifts He has given me.  I look out over the bay at the sunrise and I thank God.  I watch the eagles flying over or watching me from the tops of the trees in the summer and I thank God.  The deer wander through daily and I thank God!  After many years of wandering, God has provided me with land that I can care for and that cares for me.          

The land that God has given Israel is small.  Not all of it is the choicest of land.  But, it is theirs.  They have journeyed long to enter it - to receive their inheritance. 

The kingdom which we have inherited through Jesus the Christ is not of this world.  It is even more amazing, more beautiful than any land in this world.  It is more beautiful because in that kingdom is God in full glory.  Nothing more awesome than that!  Thanks be to God for the promised Kingdom that we inherit!

No comments: