Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Separation to the Lord - Nazirite

Numbers 6

The Nazirite vow - a vow to dedicate oneself to the Lord for a specific period of time.  They vow to separate themselves to the LORD and from all wine, any other strong drink as well any grapes or grape products.  They also vow not to cut their hair during this time of separation.  Samson is probably the most famous of Nazirites, although his separation was permanent and he really had no choice in the matter as it was ordered by God beginning from the time when he was in his mother's womb.

Whenever I think about the Nazirite vow, I remember fondly the young men who were at the Youth Correctional Facility I served at years ago.  I was the Substance Abuse Director so those who were in my groups (almost all of the 100 or so) knew that I did not drink any alcoholic beverages.  My hair is long - down to about my waist. I don't go to beauticians.  It's easier to keep it long and straight and just trim it every now and then myself.  Upkeep on hair do's take up a lot of time, energy, and money.  I also usually refrain from eating any of the prohibited unclean foods, not for religious reasons, but because they tend to make me ill.  I was one of the few staff who was allowed to work in small groups alone (confidentiality purposes) and did more than one nose to nose intervention alone - since I'm short and some of those boys were over 6' tall those interventions were more like nose to chest interventions.  I usually did not have to call for help in restraining anyone as I was most often able to deescalate the situations before they went that far.  For that, I was thanked by more than one of the young men who really didn't want to be in more trouble than they already were.  I also volunteered to lead chapel services from time to time and they all knew I had served as a missionary to a Lutheran church without walls prior to going there.  I don't know who started the rumor, but eventually one of the young men in a small group asked me if it was true that I was a Nazirite.  My only response was to smile.  The rumor kept up and I kept them guessing. 

At the correctional facility, one of young men, who had gone through the drug/alcohol treatment program twice (after the first time, he decided he had not been fully honest with his 5th step - so wanted to work through it again); anyway, this young man was in training to be a barber so that he could cut the other boys hair with electric clippers.  We set up a shop for him at the facility just prior to my leaving the facility for a call at a 2-point parish.  I volunteered to be his first client - mainly to dispell the Nazirite vow theory before I left.  It had never crossed my mind that because he was in custody that he wouldn't have access to scissors.  When I sat down in his barber chair and he pulled out the electric clippers, it threw me for a bit of a loop.  I asked the other staff to please find him scissors.  Jaw hanging, he looked at me in amazement that he would be allowed near my head with a pair of scissors.  My response was that he wasn't coming near my head with those other things.  He did a fine job.  It's the last time I've had anyone other than myself trim my hair.  Every now and then I check the Michigan State Correctional Facility website to make sure he's not back in the system.  It's been about 14 years and I'm happy to say that he has not been in jail since.

No, I'm not a Nazirite.  But, as Christians, each and every one of us are called to separate ourselves to God; to separate ourselves from the ways of the world that will cause harm to ourselves or others; to separate ourselves from ways that will not bring glory to God. 

At the end of this chapter is the priestly benediction.  I've read it a few times, but I don't recall reading it in connection with the Nazirite vows before.  I use this benediction often and not just at the end of worship.  The confirmands I teach close every class praying this benediction for one another.  One of the girls I had last year, pointed out to me that I have changed the words.  I do not pray that the Lord give you peace, rather I pray that He give you "His" peace.  I didn't realize that I did this.  But, I think maybe I've done that subconsciously as a reminder that there is a difference between peace in the world and living in a world where there is much chaos with the peace of God that surpasses all understanding.

May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you; may the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and grant you "His" peace.  Amen.



No comments: