Monday, November 14, 2011

Soap and Water

Numbers 19

Got no real clue!  As I read the ritual of the red heifer it strikes me that they are being instructed on how to make some type of soap to cleanse themselves of any impurities, diseases, that they may come in contact with when a corpse is touched.

This is not your usual offering.  The entire ritual is done outside of the camp - outside the temple - and it must be in a clean place.  The sacrifice is female which is most unusual.  A female would not be considered a sacrifice for sin.  This ritual, I think, is simply a ritual to cleanse a person to reduce the risk of disease from spreading through the camp.

We all (hopefully) have personal rituals for cleansing to keep from spreading diseases.  Some are more concerned about contact with others that might cause them to be ill than others.  During or Worship Services, right after the sharing of the peace, while the offering is being received, and just prior to preparing the table for Holy Communion, I disappear into the sacriste for a moment - just long enough to use some of that waterless anti-bacterial soap on my hands.  I have in the past had comments about all that hand shaking and holy kissing spreading diseases.  A few persons have expressed concern in the past that I may pick up germs and pass them on to everyone else as I distribute Holy Communion.  I have never known of anyone becoming ill  by receiving the body and blood of Jesus, except maybe for those who receive the sacrament without discerning the body. (1 Corinth 11:29-30)  In any case not to offend anyone, I step into the sacriste to cleanse my hands to help those who are uncomfortable with the possibility of contracting a disease from the other members of the congregation and myself.  I have a hard time comprehending all this, but I understand it is a fear of some and do not want to be the cause of anyone staying away from the table.

Soap and water will get us clean on the outside - most of the time.  But, what will we do for our spiritual cleansing?     

No comments: