Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Staff

Numbers 17

A few years ago, while preaching at the annual campground meeting at the Zeba Methodist Indian Camp, I was given a gift of a hand-made staff.  It is a treasured gift.  It was hand-made by one of the members from the tree that stands outside their little church.  It has a cross carved into the top.  Just below the cross, Zeba, the name of the community it comes from is carved and below that are 12 slashes (tribes, disciples, churches?) are cut deep into the wood.  Whenever, I use it, I wrap my hand around the staff, clinging to the cross.  Yes, I use it.  I use it when I go for walks in the woods.  It's good for turning stuff over to see what's there, to help me keep my balance, and it also give me a little added comfort when I'm out walking in the woods as it can also be used as a protective weapon.  But, mostly I use it when I'm praying.  Not just for my daily prayers, but in those times when something is laying especially heavy on my heart and mind.  I pace and pray with it, either here in the house or up and down my long winding driveway.  Sometimes, those prayers are simply: Lord, have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy... as I cannot find the words to pray.  A mercy begged each time the tip of the staff touches the ground.  The prayers can get pretty fast and furious, depending on the level of frustation I'm experiencing over the need for God to intervene quickly to help - to save someone.  Other times, it might be God bless so and so.  With a different name spoken aloud everytime the staff touches the ground.   It is usually parked beside my desk or the back door of the house.  But, sometimes, I carry it with me as a reminder of my responsibility to pray for and care for the children of God here in this place. 

Apparently, the heads of the households of Israel were just a bit jealous of Aaron's authority, his call to serve God. To put it simply:  Aaron is first in God's eyes.  They are last.  And... they are jealous.  So they are told to each bring a staff with their name written on it to the tent of the meeting and God would choose whom he would choose and that should put an end to the issue.  And lo and behold....  Aaron's staff, representing the house of Levi, sprouts blossoms and bears almonds.  Almonds, the first fruits of the land, sprout from Aaron's staff, validating his call to be the first-fruit of God's people.  Reinforcing his early call to be an offering for the people to the Lord, dedicating his whole life to serve God in the temple. 

May God help us to cling to the cross of Jesus, dedicating our whole lives to His service, to His people.



No comments: