Sunday, March 25, 2012

2 Samuel 6 - David Dances

I like to fly kites. When I was a child, I would get a kite as a gift just about every Easter. It's almost Easter, so the other day, I asked my granddaughter where my kite was. Her response was something like: "Don't you think you're a little old to be flying kites?" You see, there are those in my family (and friends) who think I am either too old to have fun or maybe because I'm a Pastor they expect me to act in a certain way. I am not suppose to do anything that I might find enjoyable; especially not if it involves running across swamps looking up at the sky instead of where I'm going :) Grandmothers are suppose to cook, clean, do the laundry, help with school work, pray, take grandchildren shopping (or wherever they want to go), buy lots of gifts, listen to all their complaints, comfort, and most of all forgive children who start out their conversations with things like "Aren't you too old...?" But, have fun? Heaven forbid!

And what is expected of a king? You may have heard the story about David dancing in the street naked as the ark of the covenant was brought into the city of David? This is the chapter, but I'm not so sure David was naked from the reading. He was wearing a linen garment or ephod as he danced through the streets. Michal is embarrassed by his actions and I think it entirely possible that when nakedness is spoken of here, it is a metaphor for David having stripped himself of his royal dignity. He his dancing and rejoicing in the streets for the ark of the covenant is being brought into the city. God's presence is among them. Michal might be just a bit put off that her husband is rejoicing with the people. He is rejoicing in God's presence. He is acting like an excited child rather than a king or at least what Michal thinks a king should act like. David is not acting like his wife would have him act. He has been unmasked. He has shed the garments of propriety and dances like a child before God and all his people.

No comments: