Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Nehemiah 11 - God Bless the City Dwellers

Not sure what to make of this...
     "Now the leaders of the people dwelt at Jerusalem; the rest of the people cast lots to bring one out of ten to dwell in Jerusalem, the holy city, and nine-tenths were to dwell in other cities.  And the people blessed all the men who willingly offered themselves to dwell at Jerusalem." (vs 1-2, NIV)

Was it really that horrible to have to live in the city of Jerusalem, that the people drew lots to see who would have to live there and blessed those who willingly offered to live there?  The text doesn't exactly inform me as to why this would be.  Then again, for some reason, I did not sleep well last night and I may not be thinking so well this morning.  Maybe, I'm just not getting it!

But, I sure can empathize with the thinking that living in a city would be a sacrifice.  I know that there are people who would have it no other way.  But, coming back from the NALC Convention in Golden Valley, MN last week and driving about 10 mph all the way through the Twin Cities on I-94 was a good reminder that I did not want to ever live in a city again.  Personally, I like the woods!  I enjoy the solitude.  I can hear distant cars.  But, when I wake up in the morning it is the birds chirping and some of the larger birds even squawking that I hear.  During the warmer seasons, the frogs and crickets sing me to sleep at night.  One New Year's morning, I heard a baby bear crying as (I assume) it was being born.  Much better sounds to me than roaring engines and screeching brakes and neighbors partying.

Yes, let us pray for and bless all those who live in the cities and in the country, too.  Bless all whom God has called to serve as they serve, live where they live.  And... God bless you too.  

Pr. J. 

No comments: