Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Psalm 116 - Taxes

"I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!" (Psalm 116:1-2 NIV)

I was not facing death, but we have been facing the steady decline of our small business for the past few years. As overhead, things like insurance and taxes, keep going up and up, profits go down and down. My husband has been anxious about it and I have been just a little anxious for him.  The good news is as one's income decreases so do the taxes! (At least the lower tax debts are good for the small business owners even if it's not going to help the U.S. budget much)

I have been up since 1 a.m. and just finished our 2012 income taxes. The good news for my husband when he wakes up this moring - the silver lining in the cloud - is that we don't owe the huge amounts we normally do. What a relief! Of course, we owe. One never gets away from taxes, I suppose. But, God has been merciful.

I do not like tax time one iota. Income taxes are relatively easy to do. It's just so time consuming to I try to find all the documents I need to do them in the first place. It is a troubling time - frustrating - as I try to remember where I filed what.  I use to take a week's vacation time to dig up all of the paperwork. This year, I did not. I'm just getting up earlier to do them.

So, this morning, I see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel and I rejoice. The LORD has always seen us through. He has always provided. He has always met our needs. I remember days when husand was a very young U.S. Marine and there were nights when we would have pancakes, no bacon or ham or eggs, just pancakes made with water for supper. I had a budget of $20.00 per month for groceries. It was tight, but we ate. I remember his first W-2. Actually, I have it saved somewhere. It is unbelievable how much he didn't make and we had a son to support on it. It was less than most people get today for 2 weeks work. But, God has always provided for us, no matter how tight things seemed to get. God heard of our needs and answered.

Those early days of our marriage taught me to trust the LORD. They drew me into a closer relationship with Him. I can look back and know that we would not be where we are today, but by the grace of God.

In every need, do not hesitate to call upon the LORD. He hears your voice and answers.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: