Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Psalm 137 - Remembering and Weeping

"By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered..."  (Psalm 137:1 NIV) Having a bit of a hard time focusing this morning on Psalm 137 as I am sitting here, remembering and weeping. So I am taking this psalm out of context.... I am stopping at verse one.

Yesterday, a wonderful friend and brother in Christ died. I am so grateful that we were able to spend our vacations these last two summers with D.J. (Everaldo DeJesus) and his wife Mikki (Megdalia). It had been about 20 years since we'd seen them before we got together again. D.J. and my husband served together in the U.S.M.C. at a couple of bases. I remember so many wonderful evenings wandering the streets of Rota.  D.J. and Howard out front. Mikki and I following behind. For those who have never experienced Marine Corps life, you should know that the Marine Corps is a very small branch of the service and those whom you serve with and their families become your family. Separated from your birth family for years, even decades, the Marine Corps family becomes your own.

Howard and I talked often in the following years about going to Puerto Rico to visit, but it never happened. It was D.J. who finally figured out how to get us together for the vacations the last two summers. We will be flying for Puerto Rico later this week. But, D.J. is not there.  And, so I sit here, remembering and weeping. 

If there is any joy today, it is D.J. who knows that joy. I remember the promise that all who believe in Jesus Christ will not perish, but inherit eternal life in the presence of God, in His glorious Kingdom. In that, there is comfort. For the privilege of knowing D.J., I am grateful. Yet, there is still grief. Life here on earth is so short and we waste so much of the time given to us by God.

May God help us all to learn not to just love, but to live that love, to live life experiencing the love of God and the love of the people He gives to share our lives with.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: