Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ezekiel 17 - Promises and Treaties

Ezekiel uses a parable of two eagles and the shoot of the cedar tree for his prophecy today. It is reminiscent of the parable Jesus told of the seeds being sown on a path, in thistles, on rocky ground or in good soil. (Matt 13, Mark 4, Luke 8)

But, unlike the parable Jesus told, the vine that was planted in Ezekiel's parable in good soil, may grow, but it will be uprooted. It has been given all the good gifts so that it may thrive. It is planted in good soil by an abundance of water. But, it will be uprooted. "Will it not wither completely when the east wind strikes it—wither away in the plot where it grew?" (Ezek 17:10 NIV)

Israel was struck from the east. They were uprooted by the King of Babylon for their unfaithfulness to the covenant they had made with God. To make matters even worse (if they can be worse), Israel's King breaks a treaty with Babylon, thinking that the King of Egypt is going to be able to help them. He can't. What God ordains, God ordains and God is not happy with these covenant breakers.

When one gives his word, when he makes a covenant with God or another, he would be wise to keep it. He would be better off not making a treaty than to make one and break it. A man's (or woman's) word ought to be trustworthy.

Unfortunately, we all make promises that we do not keep from time to time. I have tried to get in the habit of not making promises to my grandchildren. I can tell them I will do this or that for them on a certain day or a certain time. But, it doesn't always happen that way. Things come up. Emergencies come up. Somebody throws another iron into the fire. The grandchildren pressure me to make promises to them. If I must promise, I can only promise to try, with the help of God. I do not know what tomorrow may bring.

Humankind is a pretty untrustworthy lot. Sadly, promises and treaties are broken all the time. But, God promises to make a new covenant, a new treaty.

“‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will take a shoot from the very top of a cedar and plant it; I will break off a tender sprig from its topmost shoots and plant it on a high and lofty mountain. On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar. Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches. All the trees of the forest will know that I the Lord bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall. I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish." (Ezekiel 17:22-24 NIV)

Ezekiel, chapter 17, ends with these words: “I the Lord have spoken, and I will do it.” Unlike humankind, God does not go back on His Word, on His treaties. Thanks be to God for the prophecy of Good News has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ, our LORD!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: