Friday, September 13, 2013

Ezekiel 9 - Beginning At The Temple

God sends out his appointed to execute judgment. Those who grieve the detestable sins of the people receive a mark on their foreheads. Those who do not lament the sins against God are destroyed.

Ezekiel is horrified at this vision. I am horrified at his vision. After it is over, will all of the remnant be gone?

Of course, we realize that the whole of the remnant is not destroyed. I find it most interesting, though, that the judgment begins at the LORD's sanctuary. We need to beware that just because we say we are God's people, His chosen ones, does not always mean that everything we say or do finds favor with him.

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
  “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
  “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
  “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
  “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’" (Matt 25:31-41 NIV)

Our actions and our inactions; even our inmost thoughts, may not all be seen by our neighbor, our loved ones, or our enemy. But, God sees them. We cannot hide them from Him. It is, of course, that we are saved by faith, not by works. But, let us consider if it is not our faith (or lack thereof) in the One True God that determines the way we live. Do we serve the LORD or some other false god of our own making?

Just because the LORD seems to delay, does not mean that He will not come. He has come. He is present, even now. He will come again.

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy on us all.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

P.S. Note: I find it most difficult to consider some of the prophetic warnings, especially when it is sometimes so difficult to see the bigger picture when we are reading the Bible one chapter at a time. Some of these visions and actual events can really be horrific. I find so little grace in some of them; grace which I depend on to see me through each day. But, it is there (even if hidden) and I have promised to continue through the whole Holy Bible, so I will do what I can to complete what I have promised.   

No comments: