Saturday, April 19, 2014

Luke 4:14-30 Hometown Service

Luke 4:14-30 NIV
“Truly I tell you,” he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown." (vs 24)

Jesus had gone to Nazareth, where he grew up. He was run out of town.

A few years ago, I was asked by a former Bishop to serve the three-point parish where I grew up. I thought about it. But, not for too long. I figured if Jesus could not serve in his hometown, who was I too even imagine that I could? I know that it happens in some places. There are those congregations who have (for the lack of ordained clergy) raised up lay pastors from their own congregations. These men and women need our prayer support. They face obstacles to their ministry that we can't even begin to imagine. Sometimes, they aren't even aware of where the challenges are coming from; but they are there: seen or unseen; known or unknown.

Whether we serve the LORD from within the communities or not, we will find opposition to the proclamation of God's Kingdom in Jesus Christ. Not everyone loved Jesus then. Not everyone loves him today. Not everyone will love his followers.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: