Friday, September 26, 2014

Acts 2:1-12 The Gift of Hearing

Acts 2:1-12 NIV
When the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples on the day of Pentecost, how was it that each and everyone one of the people in the crowd heard them in their native language?

Rev. Karlo Keljo was an amazing teacher. He was one of my all-time favorites. I still think of him often. He once posed this question to us. "How is it that every one heard in their own language, after all there were a multitudes of different speaking people present? If those disciples were all speaking at the same time in different languages how could anyone have heard anything at all?" Scripture tells us that the disciples received the gift of speaking in tongues. Karlo taught that at that same time the disciples received this gift, the people received what Karlo called the "gift of hearing." No matter what language was spoken, he proposed, everyone still heard it in their own language and understood.

I speak English and yet there are times that I am absolutely astounded that there are some people who listen that just don't seem to hear what I am saying. There are also others, who hear something other than what I meant to say. Usually, the understanding is prompted by the Holy Spirit; but, not always. When I first began my ministry, I was interning under three different clergy at a multiple of sites. After preaching at one particular congregation so that one of the pastors could evaluate my preaching; he called to say that one of the members of his congregation had requested that she get my notes as the sermon had helped her so much with a terrible difficulty she was facing. I asked him how she said that they had helped. What did I say that had helped her so much? When he told me, my response was that I should not give her my notes because I hadn't said that. Whatever she thought she heard was purely a gift from God and my notes might ruin that message for her. I attributed it to the "Gift of hearing." From my lips to her ears, the Holy Spirit was at work so that she received the message that God knew she needed to go on that day. I cannot explain the work of the Holy Spirit. I just know that it is the Holy Spirit who opens our ears and our eyes and our hearts to a greater understanding of God's Word and His will for us.

Receive the Holy Spirit and know God more fully.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: