Wednesday, September 10, 2014

John 18:19-24 Speaking the Truth

John 18:19-24 NIV
Every now and then when I question my grandchildren (as well as other children in the community) as to what has been going on, I get the run-around. They won't answer me directly. They will say things like "I don't know. Ask so and so. They should know." Or they will say something like: "You already know, anyway." Honestly, it makes me want to slap them. I don't and haven't. But, there are definitely times that I consider it, as these kinds of responses just make me think all the more that they've been up to something they ought not have been doing and then I have to take the time to go and find witnesses or corroborating evidence to be able to confront them more directly and to the point. It's really a lot of work when telling the truth would have worked a lot faster and easier.

Jesus was slapped by one of the officials for talking to the high priest like my grandchildren talk to me when they are trying to hide something. But, Jesus' purpose was not an attempt to hide anything. Since, he is on trial for breaking the religious laws of the day (mainly his claim to be the Son of God); he calls upon the high priest to follow the law and get witness testimony as the law requires.

Jesus reminded them that he had spoken and taught openly. He testified that he had not been doing anything in secret. If his life was on trial then witnesses were required.

My grandchildren are not on trial for their lives. As of yet, they are still in the living stage; that stage where Jesus spoke the truth openly and not in secret. It would be well for all of us if we said or did nothing that has to be hid so that witnesses don't have to be found.

Have a blessed day and may God help us all to speak the truth.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: