Saturday, September 27, 2014

Acts 2:13-21 Get To Know The Holy Spirit

Acts 2:13-21 NIV
No, the disciples were not drunk with wine at 9 a.m. on that day of Pentecost. They were filled with the Holy Spirit just as is was spoken of by the prophet Joel. Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would come upon them and the Spirit did.

“In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy." (vs 17-18)

I've never quite been sure how it is that the day of Pentecost is taken so lightly in so many congregations in the United States (and probably around the world). It is the day that the power of the Holy Spirit was given to the followers to do the will of God; to proclaim the Kingdom of God, through Christ Jesus. No wonder it is so difficult for so many to understand the Trinity. We teach so little about who the Holy Spirit is. Just as we are to be in relationship with God the Father and God the Son, so we can also be in relationship with God the Holy Spirit.

I remember the day I finally got to know the Holy Spirit. I don't mean know who the Holy Spirit is; but, really "meet and greet" the Holy Spirit. I smiled for at least a week straight. The joy within me simply could not be extinguished. I was almost like a drunk person walking around; except, that I wasn't doing really stupid things. It was a very hard time in my life; yet, the Spirit of Christ led me and comforted me, giving me strength when I needed it the most.

"Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which
leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord..." (Eph 5:17-19)

Ask the Lord to help you know the Holy Spirit. "For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matt 7:8)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: