Thursday, March 12, 2015

Col 2:9-15 Confession and Forgiveness

Colossians 2:9-15 NIV

St. Patrick's Cathedral
Dublin, Ireland
The list of sins that I recall during confession every day can get long at times. Sometimes, it is a lone sin that plagues me to the point where it is most difficult to rid myself of the feelings of guilt because I know the potential damage that the words of my lips or my actions can cause unless God will intercede on the behalf of others. There is nothing I can do about it once something is said or done; except to repent and ask God to protect others from my sinful words or actions. I cannot go back and undo the damage I have done. I can go back and apologize and ask forgiveness. I can trust that God is with those whom I might harm (intentionally or unintentionally) and accept that on the cross my sins were forgiven.

Our sins are forgiven. They are washed away by the blood of Christ. However, in spite of this awesome gift from God, we continue to sin. Martin Luther was well aware of this war within us. That old sinful man keeps rearing its ugly head in spite of the fact that we have life in the body of Christ. Martin encouraged us to daily repentance and renewal. In the Small Catechism Martin Luther answers the question:

"What does Baptism mean for daily living?"
It means that our sinful self, with all its evil deeds and desires, should be drowned through daily repentance; and that day after day a new self should arise to live with God in righteousness and purity forever.
St. Paul writes in Romans 6: We were buried therefore with him by Baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
There are none of us who is without sin. May God help us to remember that it is not just others who might be in need of daily repentance; but, each of us should recognize what our sinful natures are capable of; repent; and be renewed by faith in the one who lived and died and yet lives for and through us.

When your sins plague you with feelings of guilt; remember that Jesus died so that your sins might be forgiven. "He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." (vss 13-15)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: