Friday, March 6, 2015

Philippians 1:15-30 Fear of Death

Philippians 1:15-30 NIV

Cemetery at Old Sheldon Church, Beaufort, SC
At a pastor's conference, years ago, the speaker informed us that everyone is afraid to die, including Christians. I was offended by this revelation. I know many Christians who are not afraid of death. St. Paul certainly was not. He wrote: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gainIf I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." (vs 21-24)

As a pastor and hospice chaplain I have sat beside more than a few who have been breathing their last breaths in this world. I have indeed witnessed the fear of death in the faces of some. But, I have also witnessed the peace and the joy of those who know that their hope to depart and to be with Christ is about to be fulfilled. In those latter times, I was reminded of St. Stephen's martyrdom. "But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 'Look,' he said, 'I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.' At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.' Then he fell on his knees and cried out, 'Lord, do not hold this sin against them.' When he had said this, he fell asleep." (Acts 7:55-60)

Stephen saw the glory of God. He saw Jesus. Up until his very last breath, Stephen followed in the footsteps of Jesus to further the gospel as he prayed, even as Jesus had prayed with his last breath, for the forgiveness of those who were putting him to death. Not long after Stephen's stoning, St. Paul, who is this same Saul who stood and watched the murder of Stephen, met the ascended Jesus on the road to Damascus. His whole life changed. He became a willing and ardent follower of Jesus; living his life as a testimony for Christ. He was not afraid of prison. He was not afraid of death. He longed to be with Jesus; yet, he was willing to do whatever God's will was for him. He was willing to be attacked and persecuted in this world if it would advance the gospel.

No, we are not all afraid of death. Those who believe that Jesus lived and died; rose from the dead; and now reigns in the Heavenly Kingdom look forward to the day when we will see the full glory of God even while we understand that it might be necessary for others that we stay here in this world a while longer. While we live we will give testimony of all that God has done for us, to His glory.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: