Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Colossians 1 Life In This World Is Short

Colossians 1 NIV
From my Community of Saints file (2012)... Some of our
awesome young people, for whom I am always thankful,
on a multi-generational 4-wheel trip into the mountains.
Yesterday was a very sad day. I had no sooner walked through the doors to officiate at the funeral of one friend and follower of Jesus when I heard that another had just died. I have given thanks and prayed for both of them often over the years. I will miss the fellowship and partnership in the gospel of both. I am consoled only in the knowledge that according to their individual gifts they were both vessels of Christ's love and truth. I am consoled that they were rescued from the dominion of darkness and brought into the Kingdom of the Son, through the Son. It was and is a sad day to lose such friends and fellow servants of God. But, even while I grieve, I am most thankful for having had the opportunity to share their lives in Christ; to walk with them on their journey, for a time. 

Yesterday was a sure reminder to me that our time on earth is not permanent. We are temporary residents of this place. We have only a short time to do what we are called to do and then we are called home. When I woke up yesterday morning, the power was off in my home. I reset the breaker switch not knowing what set it off. Following the funeral, my husband and I came home to figure out why the breaker had tripped and why the kitchen light was not working (the bulb was not burned). Close examination revealed scorched areas on paneling and ceiling. What had tripped the breaker switch had been an electrical fire within the wall and ceiling of my kitchen. Somehow the fire had gone out on its own. It burned only a small area; but, there was enough damage that one wall had to be torn out in order to replace wires that had melted. I had slept soundly through the night. It was yet another reminder that life in this world can come to an end when we least expect it and then we go home. But, while we are here we ought to be using our time wisely, doing what God has called us to do; bearing fruit in Christ so that others may know God's grace and also enter into the Kingdom of the Son.

Paul appreciates and is thankful for the work of Epaphras, his fellow servant in Christ, to the Thessalonians. God does not work through Paul alone. He does not work through any of us alone. We serve together faithfully and joyfully, giving thanks for the partnership of all the saints who would reveal the mysteries of God; proclaiming the good news of eternal life in the Kingdom of God, whose doors have been opened for us through His own Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord.

I give thanks for having been partners in Christ with both Richard and Alta. Let us not neglect to give thanks always for the faithful partnership we have with others in Christ Jesus. May God grant us the time to let them know that we appreciate their walk in the way of the Lord with us.

Life is short - live it well for the sake of the gospel - live it in such a way that others may come to know Christ - live it to the glory of God

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: