Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Eph 6:1-9 Honor or Exasperate?

Ephesians 6:1-9 NIV
Serve one another as if we were serving Jesus;
even as Jesus serves us.
There are times in life when loved ones; bosses, even the government just totally exasperate us. There are times when we are asked to do things that we would just prefer not to do. Some of these things might trouble our consciences so much that we must take a stand and say no.

But, most of the time we must reexamine our motives for saying no. Will our "no" really glorify God? Will the "no" really be service to God? St. Paul reminds us that we should honor and not exasperate others. We are to serve others wholeheartedly, as if we were serving the Lord and not people.

There are definitely people that come into most of our lives that we would rather not be around and  not wish to serve. In times like these I remember the love of God and how Jesus served all people. He ate with sinners. He said he came to heal the sick not the healthy; the sinner not the righteous. (Matt 9:11-13)

He would also remind us:
     "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
     "The King will reply, Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" (Matt  25:35,36,40)

As we approach Holy Week another incident that resounds in my heart and mind is when after Peter had denied Jesus, Jesus asks him if he loves him. Peter says, "Yes, Lord." And, Jesus responds: "Feed my sheep." (John 21:17) 

There are definitely times that we must say "no" because we know that our "yes" would cause more  harm to others by sending them down a wrong path even further away from Christ. But, it would be most beneficial to make sure that our "no" is motivated by our desire to serve Christ and not our self-centeredness or our personal judgments of what is right or wrong.

Honor, respect, love others as though they were Christ. God does not discriminate. It is probably a good idea that we don't either.

God's Peace - Pr. J
 

No comments: