Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Take Up Your Cross

Take Up Your Cross
He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. Mark 8:34
 
I had not eaten since late afternoon yesterday. I broke that fast this morning at breakfast with my son and his girlfriend. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the Lenten season. During Lent it is traditional to give up something that we enjoy. We will fast. We will not, with the help of God, break that fast until Easter Sunday.
 
But, no matter what it is that we give up for Lent, we ought not think of it as a sacrifice. There is nothing that can compare to the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross for us. It is - a mere test of our own self-discipline. In the end, if we are honest with ourselves, we will say, I cannot pick up my own cross and follow Jesus to his cross. May God help me! And, he has. He will be with you no matter how large or small your cross is.
 
“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt 11:28-30

God's Peace - Pr. J 

No comments: