Thursday, February 25, 2016

Taxes

“...Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”  Matt 22:21
 
It is tax season, again! Tax season spans over one third of the year. Then, there are those summer property taxes due as well and can't forget quarterly estimated taxes, either. It does not bother me to pay taxes. I am just not thrilled with the filing of them. I procrastinate. I finally purchased and downloaded one tax program. I am still waiting for the business tax program to come in the mail since there were none available locally and I don't like downloading the program. I like my own copy on a disc. If my computer crashes, which it tends to do during tax season, it is easier if I don't have to remember the passwords.
 
Jesus was asked by the Pharisees if it was lawful to pay taxes to an emperor. This was a trick question. He was being asked if maybe giving tithes to someone other than God could be considered as idolatry. On the other hand if he said no, he would be denying the authority of the emperor to rule in this world. They were confounding the two kingdoms. Jesus responded by asking who's face was on the coin that the they paid this tax with. They brought forth a coin with Caesar's face. Then pay to Caesar what is Caesar's he told them.
 
We may find discomfort in parting with our savings to pay the taxes the government requests. But, do not worry. You are a child of the Kingdom of God. God will provide.

God's Peace - Pr. J 

No comments: