Saturday, October 1, 2011

Blessings

Exodus 39

I'm thinking descriptions of the vestments are way more tedious than any genealogical list!  Had to read this chapter a few times to be able to even begin to focus.  Personally this morning, I am thinking, I really prefer an off-white alb... with a hood. The reading though, is a good reminder that the priests stood out.  They were set apart and it was quite apparent by the vestments they wore.  They were set apart from the people for something specific: for ministering in the holy place.  This is what God had called them to do. 

The chapter closes telling us that when Moses saw that all of the work of the tabernacle had been completed just as the LORD had commanded him to do, Moses blessed the people.  Me personally, I pretty much need the LORD to bless me before I do the work, if anything is going to get done.  Afterward is good, too.  But, without the blessing of the LORD nothing good is ever done.

I remember an elderly woman I use to help out now and then.  She had dementia.  She no longer had any clue who I was.  But, whenever I visited her or took her to her Dr's appointments, as I was leaving she would take my hands, look me in the eyes and bless me for having done such a "good deed."  It didn't matter if my visit was only 5 minutes.  She was ecstatic that God would send her someone to share a few moments with.  I was always a little uncomfortable with this blessing.  But, in her own way, I understood that what she was doing was thanking God for sending someone to be with her in her last days.  Of course, I was not the only one who spent time with her.  There were many others.  But, due to the disease, she lived in the moment and she thanked God for the moment.  She enjoyed each and every visit as if it was the greatest gift that she'd ever received.  So she blessed the one who carried the gift to her.          

I wonder if Moses may have felt this kind of joy when they brought the finished tabernacle to him.  Yes, the people have done all the work that the LORD has commanded us to do in preparing His tabernacle!  It is finished!  And so... he blesses them.

Hmmm...  That reminds me...  Where have we heard those words before?  On the cross Jesus uttered those words, "It is finished" and so we are blessed. 

No comments: