Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gifts or Taxes

Leviticus 27

We finally come to the end of Leviticus and will begin Numbers tomorrow.  For me, these are the two hardest books to get through.  But, we have completed one of them.  Hopefully, we have learned something from Leviticus. 

This closing chapter speaks about vows, dedicated gifts, to the Lord.  Now apparently, if you dedicate some of your property and change your mind about the gift you gave, you can buy it back.  But, it appears to me that you have to pay interest to get it back, cost plus 1/5 of value.  As I was reading about the equivalents and apportionments to be paid, it kind of made me feel like I do when I'm reading about the tax laws in this country.  Really confused!

I am not too sure about verse 29, either.  It's one of the things that really makes me uncomfortable as I don't understand it and it sure doesn't sound good.  What exactly does it mean:  "No human beings who have been devoted to destruction can be ransomed; they shall be put to death."?

Here ends the reading regarding the commandments that LORD gave to Moses for the people of Israel on Mount Sinai.  

No comments: