Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fat, Anemic Wafers, and Salt

Leviticus 2 & 3

"All fat is the Lord's." My first thought on reading that is that God could take mine away.  I wouldn't mind - as long as he leaves the rest of the body intact.  Now I know that I could sacrifice it myself with just a little more self-discipline.  But, it hasn't been happening.

Honestly, for those who think genealogies are tedious reading, these laws for sacrificing can be pretty difficult to wade through as well.  This morning other than "All fat is the Lord's" in the 3rd chapter, the only other things that caught my attention were the wafers (2:4) and the salt (2:13).

I've always kind of wondered why we use flat dry wafers at Communion instead of unleavened bread with a little more substance.  Is 2:4 it?  I really appreciate the unleavened bread that Clyde bakes for Maundy Thursday and Easter Sunday.  It is something you can sink your teeth into.  I can't imagine that when Jesus was passing the bread, which he said was his body, was passing around anemic looking wafers.

And salt... Salt caught my attention.  I love it!  Even though my cholesterol is a bit high, I don't have a problem with sodium.  My husband likes to leave it out when he cooks.  He believes the hype about it being bad for you.  I keep telling him that we can't live without it.  I've visited more people in the hospital with low sodium than with high.  Salt has more purposes than just flavoring or preserving food.  Salt get rid of unwanted pests.  I never use pesticides to get rid of ants.  Sprinkle some sea salt on an ant hill and watch what happens.  Those that live will pick up and move on out of there.  These little pests cannot survive in earth saturated with salt.  Try it on a few slugs or bloodsuckers (know this from having sons).  And so I wonder what are all the positive effects that salt might have on various mircroscopic intruders in our bodies? 

And last, but definitely not least, according to the scripture today, in their grain offerings the Israelites were not to omit the salt of the covenant with God.  What does this mean?  Definitely something to ponder... Salt will come up again in our readings if you hang in there long enough!

Now time to prepare for a Bible Study on Mark at Zion, hopefully, our conversations there will have a bit more fat and salt to them than this blog this morning.



No comments: