Friday, October 14, 2011

Quarantine

Leviticus 13

Quarantined!  The priests had the job of quarantining people who might infect others. The dread disease of that day was leprosy. They diagnosed, but could not heal leprosy and consequently to protect humanity they had to quarantine those they pronounced unclean with this dread disease leprosy.  Modern medicine has brought us a long way.  There are still quite a few fatal diseases that there are no cures for.  Mostly they are not contagious and we do not have to be quarantined, destined to suffer and die alone... 

But, I think there are times we should probably be quarantined for a time all the same.  I am sitting here wondering if I dare go out and visit our shut-ins today.  It has been way over a month.  I was diagnosed with shingles (still have them) over a month ago which has slowed me way down.  Then with the fall season, the changing weather, and many allergies, I have been coughing and sneezing for quite awhile.  I've been on antibiotics twice in the last month, the last time for bronchitis.  Just finished a dose and now I think I've got a head cold.  My doctor knows there is no sense in putting me on bedrest, quarantining me.  It just doesn't work that way today.  No one can take that much time off.  I've tried to quarantine myself as much as I could so that I'm not passing it around.  I've stayed away from seniors to the point I have got to get out very soon or they will think I've forgotten them.   

Alas, it seems it's impossible to be able to keep from human contact today, for our sake or for the sake of others!  So, in a sense as I read about the quarantine laws this morning, I almost wish we had some kind of laws that would help us to keep us from spreading so many physical ills today until modern medicine can really heal us.   There are so many diseases it seems today and it all takes time to both find the right diagnosis and heal. 

No comments: