Monday, October 24, 2011

Remembering and Respect

Leviticus 24

This Saturday, I will be leading a remembrance service as a guest preacher in the cemetery in Covington, MI for all the Saints.  We will then go to the Bethany Lutheran for a dinner, followed by Worship in the sanctuary which will include the dedication of a sanctuary lamp.  There will be a few saints in attendance.  It is a small congregation, presently without a permanent pastor.  As I wonder where the rest of the community will be, I realize that many will be celebrating at Halloween parties, at haunted houses.  So this morning I thank God for all the Saints at Bethany Lutheran who have dedicated a Saturday evening (when others will be out partying or sleeping) to remember the Saints who have gone before us and to come before the Lord to Worship and give Him thanks and praise.

When I first heard about this yearly event, I was not sure what I thought about it.  It's not something I knew as a usual practice for Lutherans.  I appreciate being asked to be a part of it, because I understand that as they gather to remember all the saints it gives them comfort in their grief to remember the promises through Jesus Christ for all who believe, for all who have gone before them.

I feel I must also comment on the blasphemy of the Name of God, again...  It is a more common occurance than most people realize.  Blashemy of His Name, as I teach our youth, is more than just invoking His Name in a curse.  Blasphemy includes any misrepresentation of His Holy Name.  Here it is:  plain and simple.  When we represent ourselves as Christians, as children of God, and then go around representing other false gods (ex:  money, sex, gangs, clubs, self, ego, etc.) with the words of our lips, with our actions, and sometimes even with the clothes that we wear, then we are blaspheming His Holy Name.  Sadly, we have taught our children that it is acceptable.  It is not..  There is only one God.  He is the one who died that we might live.  Do not disrespect or misrepresent the name of the one who gave His life for you.  Bad, bad idea..

May God grant us a greater understanding of the faith that was passed down to us through the many generations preceding us - may we not take it lightly - but with all due respect honor His Holy Name in all that we say and think and do.


No comments: