Sunday, October 30, 2011

Carrying Stuff and Bearing Burdens

Numbers 4

To every clan of the Levites, God appointed tasks related to the tent of the meeting.   Different families were designated to carry various parts of the tabernacle as they traveled in the wilderness.  God had a job for everyone between the ages of 30 and 50.   Now that makes me smile just a bit this morning...  I think about the age of workers in most congregations and the majority are not even between the age of 30 and 50.  Thanks be to God, we have people of every age serving God in our congregation.  This morning (Sunday) there will be people from age 8 to 80 plus busy at various modes of service with the congregation.  But, for the most part it is the group that is over 50 or under 14 that you would see most often serving.  Where are all our teens and younger adults?  Did they all move out of town?

Can you imagine following God through the dessert - packing up and carrying the tent of the meeting and then setting it back up again according to God's specific directions over and over again for 40 years?    Others carried their own personal belongings and shelters with them, as well as their children.  Everyone who followed God in the wilderness, would have had tasks to take care of.  Every able body had a burden to carry. 

Everyone who follows Jesus has a task as well.  "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me."  (Matthew 16:24 NLT)  And he also calls us to serve with a promise:  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matt 11:28-30)

I left my parents home almost 40 years ago.  With each passing year, I find that indeed his burden becomes lighter as I learn to trust more and more in Him.  There is much rest - much peace - for the soul when we take up our crosses and follow Him.  But, I must admit, too, that there are days, when I hopefully wonder and pray:  "Have I almost reached the promised land?" 
 

No comments: