Tuesday, May 15, 2012

2 Kings 11- Athaliah, What A Grandmother!

Having just celebrated mother's day, the silent tears during worship of those who were remembering abuse and neglect at the hands of their mothers is still on my mind.  Today we get to read about one such mother. "When Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she proceeded to destroy the whole royal family."  Yup!  That's a loving mother and grandmother - an example of the caring matriarch!  Fortunately, Jehosheba (Joash's aunt) stepped in and hid Ahaziah's son, Joash (who by my figuring was only years old). Joash was anointed and became king at seven years of age!  Imagine that!  A seven year old in charge of a country!  

I have grandchildren (many of you probably do, too) who sometimes think that they are running the show, as well.  I think the next time one of them tell me that they don't have to make their beds or pick up their dirty clothes and accuse me of being "mean" for even thinking they should, maybe I will tell them the story of Joash's grandmother, Athaliah.

As for this morning, I am out camping (if that's what you call staying in a camper trailer) with my oldest granddaughter at the Marina.  Yes!  They finally have wi-fi so you will probably find me out here a lot more this summer.  No cell phone reception, but wi-fi.  Email will work better than phones this summer!
 

No comments: