Monday, May 14, 2012

2 Kings 10 - Zeal for the LORD or Me?

With zeal for the LORD, Jehu destroyed all the worshippers of Baal.  With zeal for the LORD, he had all seventy sons of Ahab beheaded.  With zeal for the LORD, he destroyed many! 

What kind of zeal was it, really!?  After all, he let those golden calves stand...  I'm thinking maybe his zeal for destroying these enemies just may have had a bit to do with the fact that they were his enemies as well as enemies of the LORD.  Were Jehu's motives really because of faithfulness to God or were they tainted just a bit (maybe a lot) with faithfulness toward himself and his ambitions?  Just asking...  The LORD commended him for the retribution he brought on Ahab's house.  But, verse 31 tells us:  "But Jehu was not careful to walk in the law of the LORD, the God of Israel with all his hart.  He did not turn from the sins of Jeroboam, which he made Israel to sin." 

Then again, I also have to ask myself if maybe I have made compromises with the will of God?  That is... to be rid of false of gods and to express the need to be rid of them?  Do I stand firmer in some areas than in others because of my own bias'?  My own desires?  Is anything done under the sun, by anyone, that is not tainted with a little self-ambition?

For some reason getting rid of Ahab's family; getting rid of all the followers of Baal; but, not getting rid of golden calves just doesn't compute for me. 

May God help us to do His will in all things, not just those things that are comfortable or profitable for us.

No comments: