Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Proverbs 15 - Gentle Answers

It is very difficult to figure out what to say regarding any of these chapters from Proverbs. They are so filled with words of wisdom. (Please read them!) I could right a few sermons on each and every verse of every chapter! But, I won't; at least not today.

The first verse (NIV) reminds us that "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

You already know this. I know this. But, still... Sometimes, those harsh words just flow from my lips. Maybe, I am tired. Maybe, I have not spent enough time in prayer or hearing the word, but, for some reason their are times when I cannot help but respond with a harsh word. It all just seems to build up after awhile and there goes my quick tongue crushing spirits.

Yesterday morning, the drain in the bathtub decided to quit working on me. I spent the better part of the morning plunging and hoping it would drain so I could get it down low enough to put some drain cleaner in it. It didn't happen. It drained and as I was about to start on the mess, my husband came home and decided to add water to see if the drain was open - a half a tub full of water, again. I did not speak. I held my tongue. It was very difficult for me, but I did it. We did not end up exchanging any words we would be sorry for, because I held my tongue. Instead we watched a movie together. Of course, we have been married for over forty years, so he could probably tell from the look on my face what my tongue really wanted to say. Twelve hours later the tub has finally drained (again) and I can get to work on it as soon as I've written this blog. The point is, holding back from speaking harsh words sometimes takes some of us more years of persistent prayer and practice than others. But, it is well worth the effort to live in peace.

God's Peace - Pr. J

 

No comments: