Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Proverbs 8 - Wisdom Calls

Wisdom was born as the first of God's work. Wisdom has been around for a long time, even before the earth was formed. So it might appear that wisdom comes with age. It often takes experience (sometimes bad experiences) to receive her. But, not always as sometimes those with many years behind them, refuse to listen to wisdom, themselves.

Proverbs speaks of Wisdom as though she were a person. Wisdom calls out to us, pleading with us to hear the truth that she would speak. Hear it and listen. Listen to Wisdom and choose her instruction over fortunes of this world. Wisdom is much more valuable than the material things of this world. Wisdom is more valuable than popularity or fame.

There are days when I feel like I am butting my head up against a wall when it comes to imparting wisdom to those who follow after the false gods of gold and silver - of things. Yes, I am concerned that they are following after false gods. But, I am also very concerned and heart-broken because I know where this love of "things" and "self" will lead them. It will lead to troubled and unhappy lives as their false gods demand more and more and they have less and less time and energy to enjoy the gifts that God has already given them. "Use it or lose it." They will lose the gifts that God has given them. Not, so much because God will take them away. Rather, because the gifts will decay or be put on a shelf in a basement or closet where they can no longer be found for use.

Wisdom calls out. "For those who find me find life and receive favor from the LordBut those who fail to find me harm themselves; all who hate me love death.”  (Prov 8:35-36 NIV)

Wisdom calls out. Listen to her and live life.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: