Thursday, March 28, 2013

Proverbs 16 - Plans of the Heart

It seems a good thing, even a wise thing, not to let our emotions control us.  Proverbs 9:1 tells us "To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue."

So often, I can feel my emotions rise to the surface. It takes a bit of self-discipline to slow them down, ignore my emotions and listen to what the LORD would have me do. My first instinct is often to react rather than listen to God. That first instinct of listening to my heart and reacting has sometimes gotten me into a bit of trouble.

I am one of the fortunate grandparents that gets to see at least one of my granddaughters quite often. I tend to react quickly when it comes to things that I perceive as possibly being damaging to her life in the present or future. Although, sometimes, it is necessary to act quickly, sometimes, I react too quickly. I have to remember that the LORD sees all that she does. He knows all that is in her heart. He has a plan for her and sometimes my reacting too quickly may not be included in His plans. Sometimes, she just has to go through what she must go through. She must endure what she must endure. She will, as I must, learn to listen to the LORD and respond in the way He would have us respond. She will have to learn this for herself. As much as I love her, my emotions cannot control my reactions with her; I must learn to depend on the LORD for my tongue's proper answer.

When responding or reacting to any given situation, it is wise to slow down and ask ourselves if our response is coming from the pride within our hearts or is it from our knowledge and/or wisdom of the LORD's will for us and others.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: