Sunday, March 3, 2013

Psalm 141 - Great Vespers

"May my prayer  be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice." (Psalm 141:1 NIV)

In years past (it's been quite some time) I was able to worship with the Society of St. John at the Holy Transfiguration Skete in the Keweenaw Peninsula, at the Saturday evening Vesper's Service. I now live about two hours away, so it has been quite awhile. The sounds within the sanctuary so reminded me of the Holy Spirit present with us: the waves of Lake Superior crashing at the shore just outside the monastery, the wind blowing through the open windows above, even the rustle of the monks clothing as they moved about the sanctuary.

But, more than that, I love the liturgy of the Great Vespers and greatly appreciated being able to participate in Worship at the monastery. At the monastery there is no accompaniment to the chanting - just voices - praying and praising God. My favorite is: "Let my prayer rise like incense before you; the lifting up of my hands as an evening offering." I miss it so much, I attempted, a couple of years ago, to actually use a Vesper's Service at Zion during Lent at our Wednesday evening service. It did not go over. Not Lutheran enough, I was told :)  Although, some enjoyed it, others in the congregation really did not appreciate letting our prayers rise up like incense even though we did not use incense. It's just something they are not use to. It was unfamiliar.

So this morning, I am remembering that place of prayer and peace, the Holy Transfiguration Skete and thanking God for the gift of having had the opportunity to Worship in that place, with those servants of the LORD.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: