Saturday, March 16, 2013

Proverbs 4 - Listen, My Children

Wisdom will guide you all of your days...

There are times when I wonder if I should continue instructing the young. I cannot help but wonder if they are actually listening. At times, it seems like a waste of time. I am sometimes looked at like an old fuddy duddy even as I watch them follow their own paths - paths that will not lead them to fuller lives. So many seem determined to take the journey on the path of self-destruction.

But, then, again, it is my responsibility to warn them and to teach them. I do all I can to show them the way. Jesus is the way. Without Him, they shall be lost. It would, I think, behoove all parents, to raise up their children in the way that they should go. That is, if they really want their children to have the benefit, the gift, of living life to its fullest, here in this world and in the kingdom of God.

Spending time around youth of this community, I have found that the young people who have the benefit of being raised by parents who want this life in Christ for their children, listen closest to those things I would teach, as well. They actually pay attention. And.. they are the most pleasant young people to be around. They are open to new (healthy and fruitful) experiences. They think not just about their own lives, but show care and respect for those around them. Ultimately this leads to less stress, less chaos, in their own lives. They live life... much fuller. Being a Christian is not a boring life. It is one filled with adventure. There is so much to do, so much to give, so much even to receive, as we walk filled with the Spirit of Christ.

"Listen, my sons, to a father’s instruction; pay attention and gain understanding." (Prov 4:1 NIV)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: