Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Daniel 4 - Babylonian King Glorifies God; Will We?

"At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
His dominion is an eternal dominion;
    his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
All the peoples of the earth
    are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
    with the powers of heaven
    and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand
    or say to him: “What have you done?”
At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble. (Dan 4:34-36 NIV)

King Nebuchadnezzar, mighty and powerful, had been brought to his knees and when he looked toward heaven, acknowledging that no one was before God, no one was more mighty or powerful than God, he was restored to his sanity.

Nebuchadnezzar had another one of those fantastic dreams which Daniel interpreted for him. Nebuchadnezzar, this powerful king, would be brought down to his knees. He would wander around in the wilderness, completely mad. It was as was predicted. He went through a horrible time of trial; but, in the end this great Babylonian king did not shake his fist at God. He thanked God. He praised Him!

What about us? Do we, who profess Jesus Christ, give thanks and praise to God for all things? Do we praise Him when we go through trying times? Think about it; King Nebuchadnezzar had gone totally mad; driven by God from the people to wander about in the wilderness with the wild animals, even eating the grass of the fields with the oxen.

When we are driven to wander aimlessly in the wilderness, what will we do? Will we turn quickly and give praise and thanksgiving to God?

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: