Saturday, October 26, 2013

Daniel 8 - Ram and Goat

I am stumped! I enjoy reading the visions of Daniel; but, this one is difficult in that the commentaries all pretty much say that this prophecy was for the old testament times only. Yet, the scripture itself says: “The vision of the evenings and mornings that has been given you is true, but seal up the vision, for it concerns the distant future.” (vs 26)

Does anyone really know for sure? I have been studying this chapter for a while this morning with no conclusions. Attempting to understand it is actually is beginning to feel quite exhausting even as Daniel thought it was exhausting. "I, Daniel, was worn out. I lay exhausted for several days. Then I got up and went about the king’s business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding." (vs 27)

What I am seeing here is that we have two power players: the ram and the goat. The ram is powerful, but the goat is more powerful. It is a conflict between two earthly kingdoms; yet, in the end even the more powerful goat will be overthrown by the hand of God.

All this conflict in the world and for what? There is only one God and in the end He will put an end to the terror that mankind inflicts upon mankind.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: