Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ezekiel 28 - Pride Goes Before A Fall

The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says:
“‘In the pride of your heart
    you say, “I am a god;
I sit on the throne of a god
    in the heart of the seas.”
But you are a mere mortal and not a god,
    though you think you are as wise as a god.
Are you wiser than Daniel?
    Is no secret hidden from you?
By your wisdom and understanding
    you have gained wealth for yourself
and amassed gold and silver
    in your treasuries.
By your great skill in trading
    you have increased your wealth,
and because of your wealth
    your heart has grown proud. (Ezekiel 28:1-5 NIV)

And... because of this the LORD promises that the ruler of Tyre will fall. Ezekiel gives us another reminder, this morning, that "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." (Prov 16:18)

As St. Paul wrote to the Galatians: "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Gal 6:14)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: