Thursday, August 14, 2014

John 8:48-59 - I Am

John 8:48-59 NIV
“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” (vs 58)

Jesus makes the claim that he is God. If you'd heard Jesus make this statement to explain who he was or where he was from, we may have well been in the crowd that wanted to stone or crucify Jesus.

When God was sending Moses to free the Israelites from Egypt tyranny,

 "Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
  God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
  God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’

“This is my name forever,
   the name you shall call me
   from generation to generation."  
(Exodus 3:13-16)


Search the book of John or even easier, go an online search in John for the words "I Am." You will be amazed at how many times Jesus used them. Among the multitude of inferences to Jesus being the great I am; you will find these affirmations of Jesus.
“I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger.” John 6:35

“I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12  

“I am the gate; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” John 10:9

“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for His sheep.” John 10:11

 “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies.” John 11:25

“I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me.” John 14:6
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.” John 15:1   

So who do you say that Jesus is? Will you crucify or worship Him?

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: