Saturday, February 7, 2015

2 Corinthians 8 Give Joyfully!

2 Corinthians 8 NIV
I am sure glad that this lesson came up today. I paid all of our bills for the month a couple of days ago. I don't know how I did it; but, I forgot to write a check for our offering to the church. That hasn't happened in years! Offerings are usually the first checks that I write. Then I pay the bills. I learned to do this because sometimes when I wrote the check to the church last, I would find the checkbook very lean and would really have work hard at convincing myself not to give less. In order to avoid not being a joyful giver; I give first; before I start paying my obligations to electric and gas companies, mortgage companies, hospitals, etc..

St. Paul encourages the church to give generously out of love. It is for the sake of the gospel that we give - that all people might know the love of God through Jesus Christ. Our mission is; after all, to proclaim the gospel to all people and that is not a small job. There have been times over the years when I've heard excuses for withholding offerings like "The church needs  a new (you name it) and instead we're sending it to support (you name the mission or need). Until the council gets their priorities straight, I'm not giving any more." The truth of the matter is that congregations do not exist to serve themselves. They exist to serve Jesus. They exist to reach out with the good news of his love for all people whether that is in word or deed. If they are hungry; whether it be, for spiritual or physical food; feed them. Just as Christ fed the multitudes with the word and with loaves and fish; he continues to feed them through the church; through you. Do not withhold your offerings because of self-serving thoughts that we ought to serve ourselves before our neighbor. Jesus did not do this. His first followers did not do this. Why would we? Give joyfully so that all might see the love of God in Christ Jesus through you.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: