Sunday, August 30, 2015

Abandon Your Boat And Follow

"As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea—for they were fishermen. And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.”  Immediately they left their nets and followed him." Matt 4:18-20

Simon Peter and Andrew immediately left their nets to follow Jesus. I wonder if those who are not fishermen attached to the waters understand how difficult it would be to leave behind their boats and nets to follow after a teacher.

Although, I was never really good at it, I grew up fishing. My family spent a lot of time on lakes and rivers and creeks. I love the water. Today, I live on a river. I look out over the water and am reminded of all the things that Jesus has done for me. The waters remind me of the washing and cleansing we have received through the blood of Christ. The waters remind me of my baptism into his death and resurrection. I have a small boat that sits at the dock and rarely gets used. It reminds me that I have been called to abandon my boat and go fish for people.

Following Jesus sometimes requires that we give up a thing or two that we love and enjoy so that we and others will know the greater joy of living in His presence. Now let's go fishing... for people. 

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: