Saturday, August 1, 2015

Baptized for Renewal and Regeneration

Thirdly.

How can water do such great things?--Answer.
It is not the water indeed that does them, but the word of God which is in and with the water, and faith, which trusts such word of God in the water. For without the word of God the water is simple water and no baptism. But with the word of God it is a baptism, that is, a gracious water of life and a washing of regeneration in the Holy Ghost, as St. Paul says, Titus, chapter three: By the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our Savior, that, being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying.
 
Baptism is not the same as taking a bath. Water alone may wash the outside of the body; but, it cannot cleanse our souls. Water with the Word received in the Sacrament of Baptism; however, washes us through and through.
 
I am often asked why I would baptize infants. My answer (in short, because this is just a blog) is that first we are commanded to baptize all nations; all people. That does not exclude children. Jesus said we are not to hinder the children from going to him. I have also been told that babies cannot believe so therefore they should not receive this Sacrament. Jesus also said that in order to enter into the kingdom of God we must become like little children. Knowledge or intelligence does not necessarily equate with faith. Just because little children do not have the same knowledge that some adults have we should not equate that with an inability to have faith. Faith, itself, is a gift from God and is not something we work out on our own. Little children have faith and probably more than most adults. They have not been subjected to the doubts of this world.
 
Most importantly, baptism is a gift from God, for the washing and regeneration of all people and for renewing by the Holy Spirit. When Jesus was baptized in the Jordan, the Holy Spirit came down upon him in the form of a dove. When we are baptized, we are anointed by the Holy Spirit, for regeneration and renewal. I would not presume to withhold this gift of God; His very presence, from anyone, especially a child. Would you demand that a child go through life without this gift?
 
My parents were not church going people. But, they saw fit to have me baptized at home at about age five. I thank God that they did this for me. I thank God that Pr. Leslie Niemi was willing to officiate at our home. I know that it is preferable that baptism take place within the church. But, I thank God that Pr. Les was not willing to withhold this Sacrament from me for any reason. I remember that day; although, it has been so long ago and details are getting a little foggy. I thank God for that washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit that took place so many years ago. I do not want to even consider where and what I would be today if it had not been for the events of that day. Thank you Pr. Les for being a servant of God.
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: