Sunday, August 9, 2015

Husbands and Wives

Honor One Another!
For Husbands.
Ye husbands, dwell with your wives according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers be not hindered. 1 Pet. 3:7. And be not bitter against them. Col. 3:9.
For Wives.
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord, even as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord; whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. 1 Pet. 3:6; Eph. 5:22.
 
I am not quite sure what Martin Luther meant when he wrote that husbands should dwell with their wives according to knowledge. Was there some specific knowledge he was speaking about or was he merely saying "Don't be stupid! Treat your wives with honor."?
 
Yesterday, my husband and I held a graduation party for our eldest granddaughter. He was setting tables and chairs out. Cassie and I were preparing the meal when my husband pointed out that I didn't make the coffee the way he thought it ought to be made. I have been making the morning coffee for almost forty-four years. Forty years ago, letting me know that he didn't think that I knew how to make coffee would have been fighting words. Yesterday, I let him remake the coffee without saying a word.
 
As we grow old; as we grow in faith; as we grow in love for one another; we find that there are just some things that are not worth arguing about. We remember that we are both heirs of God's grace and mercy. Respect and honor one another that you might live in peace with one another all the days of your life.
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: