Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Job 30 - Job's Good Works?!

“But now they mock me, men younger than I, whose fathers I would have disdained to put with my sheep dogs." (vs 1)

That's how a righteousman talks!  I am sorry.  I know that Job is supposed to be a righteous man, but I am getting just a little tired of all of his whining about and judging others and glorifying his own good works. I realize that these friends have first attacked him; but, obviously, Job has not heard about turning the other cheek. 

I realize that many of us can fall into the same trap that Job appears to have fallen into - that is depending on and trusting in on our own good works - but, it doesn't make it right or good.  This story is a good reminder to us that we should probably avoid that trap.  In the end, it appears that Job is all about doing good works.  He knows the letter of the law.  Apparently, the spirit of the law had not yet been revealed.

Lord, help us to still our lips if the only thing that is going to come out of them are insults to destroy the pride of others and build up our own.

God's Peace - Pr. J

 

No comments: