Thursday, October 25, 2012

Psalm 12 - Faithful or Faithless?

"Help, Lord, for no one is faithful anymore; those who are loyal have vanished from the human race." (vs 1 NIV)

My only question this morning is:  was there really a time when someone was totally, completely, 100% faithful.  The only one I can think of that was truely faithful was and is Jesus the Christ.  We all like sheep, have gone astray.  (Isaiah 53:6) It is true that many have turned and returned to the shepherd of our souls.  (1 Peter 2:25)  Yet, can any of really say that we are completely faithful?  When was the last time we put ourselves first and doing the will of the LORD second or maybe third or fourth?  Yesterday?  Maybe, it was the moment you got up out of bed this morning? 

We sin against God and one another without even realizing it.  We might pray for relief from our enemy, but who might be praying for relief from us? That is why in our corporate confession at worship we often ask God to forgive our sins both known and unknown to us. 

Often in our weekly Bible study, we discuss the amazing things that were accomplished through the first followers (miracles, if you will).  We wonder if God has stopped producing miracles or is our faith and our faithfulness so wanting that nothing (or very little) can actually be accomplished through us? 

No, not one is completely faithful anymore, except the Son, Jesus the Christ.  He is faithful. We have all turned our backs and like sheep have gone astray.  But....  I remind you of Luther's explanation of the third article of the Apostle's Creed:  "I believe that by my own reason or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to him.  But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and preserved me in true faith, just as he calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth and preserves it in union with Jesus Christ in the one true faith.  In this Christian church he daily and abundantly forgives all my sins, and the sins of all believers, and on the last day he will raise me and all the dead and will grant eternal life to me and to all who believe in Christ.  This is most certainly true.

We, are sinners, indeed.  We are faithless.  Yet, the Spirit of the one who is faithful, keeps us in the true faith.  Quite the paradox! But, thanks be to God!  This is most certainly true!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: