Friday, October 5, 2012

Job 32 - Comfort Afflicted; Afflict Too Comfortable

We have a new player today:  Elihu.  We've heard nothing about this younger friend, Elihu, until now.  It is his turn to speak, finally! He's been sitting, intently listening.  He refutes the wisdom and usderstanding of the elderly.  It is not mere age that makes one wise.  Rather, understanding comes from God.  He says, "But it is the spirit in man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand." (vs: 8)

Eliju, as a younger man and apparently less esteemed than his elders, finally gets to speak.  He says, "I must speak, that I may find relief; I must open my lips and answer.  I will not show partiality to any man or use flattery toward any person. For I do not know how to flatter, else my Maker would soon take me away. (vs 20-22)

The reality that if Elihu's culture was that young men should keep their lips still so as not to offend by appearing wiser than the elder's.  Elihu refutes this and speaks.  There is a reality in the American Christian culture that also needs to be refuted.  It is a reality which has no scriptural basis.  And.. that is that Christians should accept everyone just as they are.  A Christian should never open their lips in a way that might offend anybody.  We are to just turn the other cheek, while the world destroys itself, while a neighbor attacks a neighbor, while God is being blasphemed.  All this we should do, just because the culture thinks that Christian's would/should never do or say anything to offend anyone.

I want you to think about that.  Did Jesus keep his lips still?  Did he not confront anyone?  My favorite "assertive" word from Jesus was when he was warning his disciples about his impending persecution and crucifixion.  Peter does not want to hear about it and Jesus responds:  “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”  (Matt 16:23)  Can you imagine what the response would be if one of us told someone: "Get behind me Satan!"?  I know how most would react to me.  I would be reminded in not so gentle words that I am no Christian.  A Pastor would not treat people like that! In fact I have been told that on more than one occasion.  What kind of Christian am I that would dare to call someone on their following in the footsteps of the world, rather than Jesus?  But, it has been mainly by people who have never read or actually heard scripture.  Some have been to a few Worship services on very rare occasions, to hear the Word of God.  But, I'm not sure if they were listening.  It is those who have mistaken the false "American Christian Cultural Understanding" (I don't know how better to describe this false understanding) who will challenge you when you stand on the Word of God.  Read your scriptures and you will find that Jesus did, indeed, open his lips to comfort the afflicted as well as to afflict those who were too comfortable in their own ways, in the ways of the world.

To follow in Jesus' footsteps will not be easy.  You will not be loved by everyone.  And... there will be times when you must open your lips and speak the truth, comforting the afflicted and sometimes afflicting the too comfortable with the Word of Truth, who is Jesus Christ.

A few more scripture verses this morning, from Matthew, about the challenge that goes with following Jesus - a reminder that everything Christian does not always feel good. 

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.  What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?  (Matt 16:24-26)

God's Peace - Pr. J

 

No comments: