Sunday, June 16, 2013

Isaiah 45 - A Grandfather Creates Woe



"I form the light and create darkness,
    I bring prosperity and create disaster;
    I, the Lord, do all these things." (Isa 45:7 NIV)

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." (Isa 45:7 KJV)

"I form light and create darkness,
I make weal and create woe,
I am the Lord, who do all these things." (Isa 45:7 RSV)


I'm pulling out one lonely verse from this chapter of many verses this morning. I do it because it reminds me of a ecumenical Bible Study I attended in 1996. This verse was topic of a very heated discussion. Among us were Methodists, Roman Catholics, Baptists, and Lutherans of the LCMS, ELCA, and the Apostolic brands and all using various English translations of the Holy Bible. There were some who thought that someone, somewhere, some how in the transcribing of scripture years ago a mistake had been made. God could not, would not. create disaster, evil or woe! After all, God is good all the time!  But, then again... what is good? Do we decide what is good or do we let God decide that?

According to some, it is the devil who creates all evil. It is the evil one who creates disasters and woes. It was/is unimaginable to some that this friendly, loving, grandfatherly figure sitting in a rocking chair on high would ever do anything that would cause us stress. But, what if it were for our own good - for the good of all people that there is a bit of stress in our lives? Would He do it then? What do you think? What does Holy Scripture say?

Today is Father's Day in the United States. Do not earthly father's sometimes make decisions that seem to affect the lives of their children in a negative manner? Sometimes things, that may not be so comfortable for us, have to happen for our own good, for the good of all creation. In many circles it is called "tough love."

And while I'm thinking about it.... I can not begin to count the times that I have been told by someone I was sharing the Good News with, that they simply can't buy into the whole bearded grandfather figure sitting on his throne in the sky type of god. I usually smile and tell them that neither can I. God is more than that. My God creates light and darkness. He makes peace and creates woe. God is a whole lot more than a detached, old (decrepit) bearded man, sitting on a throne or in a rocking chair, as he watches from a distance cloud, the antics of His children and their children. God is active in our lives whether we want Him to be or not. He is not out there in another universe. He is with you, even now, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: